What Is Lime (Hydraulic)?
It is an important binding material used in building construction. Lime has been used as the material of construction from ancient times.
When it is mixed with sand it provides lime mortar and when mixed with sand and coarse aggregate, it forms lime concrete.
Lime is a good building material for construction its use in the construction of foundations, walls, plastering, white washing is known to you.
Structures like forts monuments, please, bridges constructed years back stands today in good condition of time.
The use of lime has been reduced with the introduction of cement. This is because of cement.
• Takes less timer fro setting
• Has More Strength
• Having desired Properties
• Stored for longer periods etc.
Types of Limes
• Fat lime:
• Hydraulic lime:
• Poor lime:
What Is Cement?
Cement is a commonly used binding material in the construction. The cement is obtained by burning a mixture of calcarious (calcium) and argillaceous (clay) material at a very high temperature and then grinding the clinker so produced to a fine powder.
It was first produced by a mason Joseph Aspdin in England in 1924. He patented it as portland cement.
Types of Cement
Also, read: 10 Best Cement Companies In India
Difference Between Lime and Cement
Hydralic lime is available in quick from. Slaking of hydraulic lime is necessary before its use.
Process of slaking takes considerable time construction work is declayed.
|For cement slaking is not necessary it can be used directly as and when required. No delay in construction.|
• Hydraulic lime contains silicates and aluminates of calcium and oxides of iron.
• It sets slowly hence delays construction process.
|• Four important compounds C3SC2SC3A and C4AF take part in setting.
• C3A (Tricalcium Aluminate) as soon as the water is added hydrolysis starts.
• To allow for a time of mixing. for transportation and proper placing 2 to 3 % gypsum is added to the cement.
• C3A causes an early setting of cement with a generation of a lot of heat, which is not desirable.
• Its action gets complete in 28 hours.
(Remember setting is not hardening to setting means changing from plastic stage to solid stage)
• C3S (Tri calcium Silicate) is next to set and harden. It gives early strength.
• Hydraulic lime posses binding property and eminently hydraulic lime can be used as cement.
• As per the classification of National building code lime mortar having, 1(Eminently hydraulic lime) :2 or 3(sand) proportion possesses compressive strength of 2 N/mm2
• Hydraulic lime can not be used for binding reinforcement in cement.
|• Cement prosses strong binding properties compared to lime.
• As per classification of national building code cement mortar having 1:6 (Cement)(sand)proportion possesses compressive strength of 3 N/mm2
• Cement can be used for binding reinforcement in concrete.
Like this post? Share it with your friends!
Suggested Read –