Core cutter method
This test know different name like “Field Density Test “, ” Soil Compaction Test” ,” Compaction Test ” ‘” Dry Density of Soil in place by Core – cutter method” , ” Filed Compaction test “,”core cutter method”
Aim: To determine the Field density of Fine grained soil by using Core-cutter.
Scope: This procedure covers all relative activity for the project site.
Relevant Is Code : IS Code 2720
1). Core cutter / Dolly / Rammer.
2). Balance of 1 gm accuracy.
3). Pallet knife, Straight edge, Steel rule, Pick axe etc.
4). Rapid moisture meter
1) Internal Volume of core cutter shall be calculated by taking dimensions nearest to 0.25 mm (By vernier).
2) Cutter shall be weighed to nearest gm.
3) A small area, approximately 30 cms square of the soil layer to be tested shall be exposed and leveled.
4) Cutter shall be placed vertically on soil with dolly on top.
5) Cutter shall be rammed down vertically into the soil layer until only about 15 mm of dolly protrudes above surface.
6) The cutter shall be dug out of surrounding soil by pick axe.
7) Soil from both the ends shall be trimmed flat to the ends of cutter.
8) The cutter containing soil mass shall be weighed to nearest gm.
9) The soil mass shall be removed from cutter and representative sample shall be tested for water contents with help of rapid moisture meter..
When soil mass is dry and cutter is not properly filled up or looses soil while handling. In such case test is to be done by sprinkling water and testing after suitable lapse of time.
Bulk Density Yb of Wet Soil is as below:
Yb = (Ws – Wc ) / Vc , gms /cm3
Dry Density Yd is as below:
Yd = 100 Yb / (100 + w ) , gms /cm3 Where w = Water content %
Report : Dry Density to be recorded to 2nd place of decimal in gms/cm3. Water Content % to two significant figures ( e.g.- 23, 2.3, 0.23 )
Sample of Excel Sheet FDD by core cutter
|FIELD DRY DENSITY BY CORE CUTTER|
|MDD report no.||Tested as per|
|Description||Sample 1||Sample 2||Sample 3|
|1. Weight of wet soil + Core cutter (W1) ( gms)|
|2. Weight of Empty Core cutter (W2) (gms)|
|3. Volume of Core Vc (cc)|
|4. Weight of wet soil Ww = W1-W2 (gms)|
|5. Bulk Density γ = Ww / Vc (gm/cc)|
|6. Moisture Meter Reading (R)|
|7. Moisture Content Wc = R / (100-R) x100|
|8. Dry density γd = γ / (1+ Wc) (gm/cc)|
|9. % Compaction (γd / MDD ) x 100|
|Remarks ( If Any) –|