PROCEDURE FOR SLUMP TEST FOR FRESH CONCRETE
Aim: To check Workability of Freshly mixed Concrete by Standard Slump Cone method. This method is suitable for max size of aggregate upto 38 mm only.
Scope: This procedure covers all relative activity for the project site.
1). Slump cone with base plate and cone as per the specification.
2). Smooth Tamping rod 16 mm dia and 600 mm long with one rounded edge.
- Sample shall be collected from the concrete.
- Internal surface of the cone shall be cleaned and freed from extra moisture and any layer of set cement slurry.
- Conical mould shall be fixed tight on the base with screw arrangement ensuring no cement slurry will leak from the joint.
- Assembly shall be placed on smooth and truly horizontal surface rigidly.
- Mould shall be filled up in 4 layers. Each layer shall be tamped with tamping rod for 25 times evenly. Tamping shall penetrate in layer below.
- The top level shall be struck off by trowel or rod flush to the top of cone.
- The Cone shall loosen at the base and shall be lifted carefully vertically without disturbing concrete mass.
- The subsidence shall be measured immediately.
- Above operations shall be carried out at place free from vibrations and shock.
- The whole exercise is to be done within two minutes from sampling.
- In any test in which specimen collapses or shears the test will be repeated.
- Slump shall be recorded in mm.
- If in repeat test the slump shears, it is to be recorded.